Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Its been quite some time since last i posted. It seems to be a theme.I went to Laos last week and had an amazing time. It is a beautiful country. A Singaporean asked me if Laos (pronounced Lao) was backward like Cambodia. I was immediately offended. Laos is certainly traditional and very rural, but it is not backward. The electricity went out at random times. The Mekong was filled with shit and oil. The people live in straw thatched houses, and there arent many Western toilets. But the people appear very happy. Only once did someone beg for money from me. (Cambodia it was like every two feet) Lao PDR is a fantastic place, and I would move there now. Luang Prabang is one of my favorite cities in the world.Some things I will remember-
  • A ten hour bus ride to Luang Prabang from Vientiane
  • Being Afraid of Bandits
  • Singing Lao Songs with Emma and Nina (two British friends that were great company)
  • Swimming in the Mekong (oil, muck, weeds and all!)
  • Banana Fritters and Beerlao!
  • Paranoia!
  • LP has a fantastic night market that I went out in everynight
  • I saw the cutest kids (the country is like 50% children) - the one at Whiskey Village was so funny
  • Laos Belts or Headbands
  • Bowling Alley Blues
  • Organic Farm at Vang Vieng
  • Electricity going out with Emma trying to find L'Elphant
  • Eating Indian and Mexican food in Laos
  • Renting a moto and riding around with Nina and Emma
  • Shruti, Chris, Rubi, Rosalyn, and Greg along with Nina and Emma- they made the trip unforgettable
My time in Asia is coming to an end- or maybe im just thinking it is. I still have two months but in the scheme of things, this is very little time. I would like to be home actually, but I dont know where that is. I dont feel a permanence here, a sense of belonging, and i think that makes being here hard. However, there isnt anywhere I really care to be. Chapel Hill is great, but things change and arent what I had before. Thats ok! I want change; I like change.

I think I just want to be somewhere that I can feel settled, and thats not Singapore. It maybe that I know that I am only here for a certain amount of time. Knowing that makes me want to leave even sooner, as oppose to CH I know Ill be there for a lot longer.

I havent made many new friends, but thats Ok. I have been doing a lot with my internship. I have gotten to know the people at TWC2 and they are great. So helpful, and positive. People that I really want to be like when Im older.

I have found what I want to do- work with NGOs, grassroots organizations and community groups. On what topic I dont know, and in what capacity, im not sure- but its good to figure out something.

Below are some pictures of the Bangladeshi migrant workers. I will post about my internship sometime. Ill probably copy a journal I have already written. Its informative, and thats what I try to be! Heres the pics!


Sha, an inspiration to me

a bangladeshi worker that has had many problems being in Singapore
Cuff Road Project- a free meal plan for workers that live on the streets and have no food- i go there once to twice a week.

1 comment:

Nostalgic Nosh said...

These photos are incredible, and I like your model shot (:
I only wish I had known you had a blog last year while you were there!